I had the opportunity to talk with Lisa Stone, tennis parent and writer, on the Parenting Aces show she hosts on the UR10s radio network. It was a fun and thought-provoking conversation that allowed me to summarize and discuss the tennis parenting research we have been doing at Michigan State University's Institute for the Study of Youth Sports.
Specifically, Lisa and I discussed a number of important topics including:
- How to communicate with your child when wanting to quit tennis,
- The reasons behind why researchers believe that tennis parents are more involved today,
- The #1 biggest mistake a parent can make in parenting their child in tennis,
- How to navigate the issue of sport specialization and when a tennis player should specialize,
- How to push and challenge your child while supporting them.